Why Strength Training is the BEST thing in the world!


If you've somehow ended up reading this - Hi! You may know me personally, you may not. If you do, you'll possibly know that I am in the process of training to compete in the combined events (heptathlon, what Jess Ennis does!) in 2019. I've been a sprint hurdler previous to this, competing nationally since the age of 11. I started weight training at 14, which had a major effect on my performance, injury prevention and emotional well being. I'm also in the process of achieving my UKSCA (UK Strength and Conditioning Association) Accreditation.



Here are my top 3 reasons why I believe that lifting weights (safely and properly!) is the BEST thing you could possibly do.

1. Injury Prevention

Everything we do is based on fundamental movement patterns. Walking to work, going up the stairs, bending down to pick something up, running for the bus, picking up the kids, swimming in the sea, you name it.                                                        These essential movement patterns - the main being the squat and lunge, determine the way in which we move on a daily basis. If you can perfect the squat and the lunge, you'll be more likely to perform those daily tasks with balanced and proper technique, therefore reducing injury.
Injury Prevention Case Study:

*From Personal Experience Only.*

I'd had pain in my ankle for a good few months, that kept changing position and wouldn't go away. It got to the stage where I couldn't run - it just felt like an alien movement to me. I'd had multiple MRI scans and physio appointments - all which showed absolutely nothing. After crying to my at the time Strength and Conditioning Coach, he told me to do a squat in the cage, and filmed it from the back.



When we watched it back, there was a slight shift in my squat - meaning, my weight was shifting ever so slightly to one side. This was, in turn, affecting everything I did. The way I walked, ran, hurdled, jumped. Until my body became unbalanced. The key to sorting injuries is to discover the imbalance, and then address it.

After we found the imbalance, we wrote a program to target the muscle groups that were providing the imbalance. And after a week, my ankle pain completely disappeared. Magic!

2. Body Sculpting

Everyone and their mum has been on the latest fad diet, eat less carbs, eat more carbs, eat no meat, eat more meat, eat nothing, eat loads. It's near impossible to filter through the thousands and thousands of opinions online about the quickest or most effective way to achieve the body that you desire. If it's muscle tone you're after, or you're longing for the perfect bum, weight lifting is most definitely for you. It really depends if you want the "strong" look or not. If you just want to lose weight with no muscle tone, then perhaps weight training is for you. You will almost indefinitely GAIN weight from resistance training such as weight lifting - you'll put on muscle - but before you question me - is it the number n the scale that is really the most important thing?

Food For Thought: Take a look at these photos from Carly Rowena, a personal trainer and avid blogger. In which photo does she look Healthiest? Strongest? Fittest? And which is she the heaviest?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkEzqkNheVP/?hl=en&taken-by=carlyrowena

I can only talk from personal experience, but in short and simple terms, maximal load lifts, with longer rests and higher intensity, provide resistance to the muscles to make them grow, and become stronger. Many people feel that this will make them look manly or like a bodybuilder, but that just simply is not the case. I'm only 5"6, I can squat almost double my body weight and most definitely do not look like a bodybuilder!

Take a read of this article: I'm most definitely not qualified to give an educated opinion, so let these guys explain it to you in greater depth with some science involved.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/rr-cardio-vs-weights

















3. Emotional Well-being 

I have struggled with depression in the past, and still have bad days. Nothing puts a smile on my face like after a good weights session. You may think I'm mental - and there's good reason for that - I am - but there is nothing like the buzz of a new Squat or Bench PB. I've also met many friends through gyms, it's such a great, supportive and encouraging environment. And having somewhere to vent, burn off your anger for the day, by chucking a few weights around, is essential after a bad day in the office, school or work.

Here's an interesting article that discusses this further:

http://time.com/5271079/resistance-training-depression/


 Thanks for reading, any questions email me at britt@apheria.co.uk

All opinions based on personal experience, I am not by any means qualified, but am working towards an S&C Accredited Qualification.

Learn to Lift

After I achieve my UKSCA accreditation, I'm looking to start a "Learn to Lift" project. It's mainly aimed at Women, and will be focused on Females living around the Rugby Area that are interested in learning how to lift weights. If you'd like any more information, by all means, email me:

britt@apheria.co.uk

love, Britt x


Comments

Popular Posts